Featuring a sweet pumpkin filling and a nutritious nutty base, this Raw Vegan Pumpkin Slice is a quick and easy dessert that can be whipped up in a blender in minutes. With the Halloween festivities in full swing, it’s the perfect time to make use of the availability of pumpkins by making a delicious and seasonal dessert! This year I’m trying to use more seasonal produce to experiment with new recipes and flavours – this one is a winner!
The base is made from sweet and sticky fibre-rich dates, nuts, desiccated coconut, and coconut oil. It pairs perfectly with the topping is made with pumpkin puree to create a rich and velvety texture. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger are a warming combination, adding some magic flavours and complementing the sweetness of the dates and pumpkin.
This recipe is as delicious as it is healthy. Pumpkin contains vitamins A and E, as well as potassium and iron. The lovely orange colour is due to mineral beta-carotene, a plant nutrient that our bodies turn into vitamin A! The slice is also full of healthy fats from the nuts and coconut oil, plus protein, calcium, potassium and vitamin E! Whilst the pumpkin puree is cooked, the rest of the recipe requires no cooking with the ingredients in their natural nutritious and raw state.
As the ingredients are all natural as well as being Vegan, these are a great healthy dessert to make to celebrate Halloween!
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1 cup raw almonds, ground
1 cup raw walnuts, ground
½ cup hazelnuts, ground
½ cup shredded coconut
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch of sea salt
2 cups (one 400g tin) pumpkin puree
½ cup almond milk
½ cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup (9 dates) Medjool dates, pitted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender until combined. The desired texture is a chunky and sticky “dough”.
2. Line a medium sized glass dish with clingfilm, and put the mixture into the bottom and spread evenly. You should be able to spread the mix with the back of a dessert spoon and press it down to get a firm base.
3. Freeze for at least 30 mins.
4. While you’re waiting for the base to harden, make a start on the pumpkin topping
5. Combine all of the ingredients in a blender, and blend until completely smooth and creamy. If your dates aren’t soft enough to blend easily, soak them in warm water for 10 minutes beforehand. Or if you’d like some fudgy pieces then blend your mixture a little less so you have some sticky date chunks.
6. Remove the base from the freezer, and gently spread the filling mixture evenly onto the base.
7. Pop back into the freezer for 1-2hrs or until firm. You can lift the dessert out by the clingfilm so it’s easy to lift onto a serving board to cut into slices.
8. Serve with a sprinkle of desiccated coconut, a dollop of whipped coconut cream or a drizzle of maple syrup!
Simple and delicious desserts really are this easy 🙂
(This recipe for Raw Vegan Pumpkin Slice originally appeared as a guest post for Raw Press Co here)